Connected, but alone?



After watching the TedTalks video “Connected, but alone?”, I found that the speaker Sherry Turkle made some very good points on how using the internet or technology can isolate us. I have noticed in the last 10-15 years, which is about the same amount of time I have had a cell phone, I feel less connected to everyone around me. I will spend hours each day checking up on my friends, replying to short messages with less thought than a real-life conversation, scrolling through my feed. I try to stay present in social situations but it takes a lot of care. It is too easy to zone out of life and feel mildly accomplished by liking your friend’s photos or commenting a goofy emoji.

Comments

  1. I too am guilty of lazy connections to friends and family, it is so much easier to like a post or type lol then it is to pick up the phone, or even, gasp *write a letter to those at a distance. Too easy, and easily understood by the receiver to type the response "I can't, I'm binge watching...on Netflix" as an excuse to not go out. And I agree with you, although I never made the connection myself, there is that small sense of accomplishment because you "connected" by liking something or inserting an emoji. Great insight on that one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Photo Assignment